One challenge that comes along with being a pet owner is finding a place to live where pets are accepted. Many landlords and property owners balk at the idea of renting to people with pets, simply because they believe the pets will do a lot of damage to the property. They also may be worried about noise complaints or liability issues.
There are, however, a small percentage of landlords who are more open to the idea of renting to people with pets. Here are some tips for finding pet-friendly apartments in South Tampa:
1. Use online apartment searches to look for apartment buildings that accept pets. Carefully read through the pet policy of any buildings that you discover. You need to make sure that there are no size restrictions or other issues that may prevent your pet from being accepted.
2. Get your pet ready for apartment living. This includes making sure that they are spayed or neutered and that they are properly trained. They should also be up-to-date with all of their vaccinations. If you don’t have a lot of money to spend at the vet, there are free or low-cost clinics out there that can help with all of these things. Don’t give a landlord a reason to turn away your pet.
3. Always be honest when filling out your application. A lot of people think that they can sneak pets into the building or that they can lie about how many pets they have. This almost always backfires. The last thing that you want is to suddenly get evicted because you omitted key information during the application process. By being honest and straightforward upfront, you don’t have to worry about getting into trouble further down the road.
4. Save extra money for pet deposits. Most apartments that accept pets require large deposits to cover any damage that they may inflict while you live there. By having this money already saved, you can avoid the stress of trying to come up with extra cash on short notice.
5. Make sure the apartment is comfortable for your pet. Along with examining the indoor living space, consider the outdoor area as well. For instance, if you have a dog, are there places nearby where you can walk them? If you have a cat, are there windows that they can look out of?
Using these tips when looking for pet-friendly apartments in South Tampa should help you find the perfect place for you and your furry friend.